Wednesday, April 9, 2008

daily vent take one...

If I actually vent about something daily, does that mean that I have to say something positive and constructive also because if it does, that is just way too much effort and I don't feel like being cheery all the time (or ever lately).

Here is my vent for the day...

I went to WalMart today *stop the conversation and back up*...I HATE WalMart. Hate isn't even a strong enough word, loathe is more like it. I will go to every other store in the state for something I need before I set foot in WalMart. I think a requirement to work there is an IQ of less than 30 and I feel the same way about people who shop there regularly (sorry, but I unapologetically do). Anyway, for whatever reason my IQ momentarily dropped below 30 today and I went there for these bins that I needed and knew they had.

I went in, headed straight for where I thought the bins would be (but weren't), looked around, grabbed them and made a b-line for the nearest check stand. I didn't want to be in there longer than was absolutely necessary. When I got to the check stands there were only 2 or 3 that were open along with 3 self checkout lanes. The lines for the "regular" checkout were way too long so I stepped into the self checkout line - there was only one person in it afterall, and they were almost finished.

Ok, so I know you think my vent is about WalMart and it could be - but it's not.

My vent is about STUPID people who use the self checkout lines but have absolutely NO IDEA what they are doing or any idea how to manage a computer. So I'm behind this guy who has 3 things left of the conveyor belt and a whopping 20 minutes later finally managed to finalize his purchase. Are you kidding me??? Why did I stay in line so long? You know how you wait thinking "surely he'll catch on and speed up" or "he only has 1 more thing, how long can it take". And then, after 5 minutes you're invested in the line and you figure it's bound to be your turn at any moment. NOT the line I was in!

Dear man in line ahead of me: touching the computer screen over and over again isn't going to solve your problems, staring blankly into the monitor won't work either. There is a correct and incorrect way to insert cash, please look at the little cartoon picture of George Washington and figure it out. Trying the same thing over and over again won't eventually work. When you get your change back, look for the big red sign that says "change here" and pull your money out. Don't spend 5 minutes looking the machine over to try and find it. It is an automated system, if you'd just listen or actually READ the instructions, you'd know what to do. Please for the love of Heaven and Earth, don't use a self checkout line again until you're familiar with the English language and have the mental capacity to actually follow its instructions.

9 comments:

Phelps Family said...

Emily you crack me up! I feel the same way about Walmart, definitely not my favorite place to shop and the majority of the people shopping there drive me insane.

Johnsons said...

I love you Em!! No matter what line I seem to pick, it always ends up being the slowest. It drives me crazy.

Bowman Family said...

So are you saying that I am not smart because I shop there?

Kerri said...

Well you know my thoughts are the EXACT same about Wal-mart! BLUK!!!

I have lived the SAME hell at the self-checkout at Krogers! What is wrong with people???

Samantha said...

Emily, i do ahve to say, I love reading your blog. She should be an editorial writer.
Just a thought, but maybe you should have offered him some assitance. :-) Love ya!

estinger said...

HaHa Sam...I would have but I don't speak Spanish :) Plus, if I would have actually helped the dude I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Kerri said...

And we ALL know how much you LOVE to complain...especially when you are about to pop!

Super Heumann said...

I told Steven the other day, when he was getting frustrated with other drivers, that you just have to live your life assuming that everyone else is an idiot. That way you would be less likely to get into an accident and when someone takes 20 min. to check out it would just roll off you back like water because you know that everyone else in the world is an idiot. And when someone is not an idiot it makes your day.

Laura Nielsen said...

Oh my I am laughing so hard right now! I TOTALLY agree with you and Wal Mart. Even the regular checkout lines have cashiers that take that long. Plan on an ALL day trip if you go to Wal Mart!