Friday, April 18, 2008

daily vent take two...

I'll admit, I'm not the most conscientious cell phone user in the world. I don't pull over to the side of the road while I'm talking and driving. I have an annoying ringtone that I let play a little too long because I like the song (The Fray - How to Save a Life). I screen EVERY number that I don't know and I'm awful at returning calls.

However, aren't there some common rules of courtesy that EVERYONE should abide by when it comes to cell phones? For those that have been living in a cave and are unsure as to what those rules might be, here they are as I see them (in no particular order)...

1. When you're in the gynecologists office, or any office for that matter, where the atmosphere is relatively quiet and your cell phone rings, if you choose to answer it, answer it quickly and tell the person on the other end that you'll call them back. DO NOT answer the phone and talk as loudly as you can. I promise we all don't care about your visit to the gynecologist and neither does the person on the phone that you're actually talking to.

2. This one seems to be a faux paux of the 50+ year old generation of women *cough mom*. Talking at the normal volume is adequate when you're on a cell phone. Why is it that some people are under the impression that because you're on a cell phone that you need to double or triple the volume at which you normally speak? Yelling into the phone doesn't make you more clear to the person on the other end and it annoys the people who are actually around you. I should also mention that this same rule applies to drive up windows - there is no need to yell your order.

3. There are those people who are constantly on the phone while you're out with them. A note of courtesy - if you're out with a friend or a group of friends, don't spend the entire time on the phone with other people. What's the point of going out? This also applies to texting. Just because you're not actually talking doesn't make it any more polite to sit and text with someone.

4. iPhones are cool, I get it. I would love to have one. But why is it that every single iPhone user I ever meet feels the need to show me every feature on the phone? If I want a tour of your phone, I'll ask - I promise!

5. And finally, cell phones in movie theaters. It should be obvious to everyone that it's annoying if your cell phone rings while everyone is watching a movie but NEWS FLASH...it's just as annoying to have the guy next to you texting during the ENTIRE movie! There is a light on your cell phone and it is distracting to see the blasted light come on every few minutes. Why did you bother paying to see the movie??? That dude owes me $8.50!

6 comments:

Kerri said...

Can't wait to show you how my iPhone does so many cool things when we are in NYC!!!!! ;)

Super Heumann said...

# 2 is the best. That is my mom in a cell phone nutshell and of course I have to mention her over use of speaker. Steven and I have a tivo that we keep upstairs so the grandkids can watch cartoons when they visit and it forces us to go up for a visit every now and then. The problem is that my mom always has her phone on speaker. It is very hard to enjoy the office when your mother is screaming into the phone and doesn't realize that you can hear the other person too. The worst is when we are in public places and she has it on speaker.

Laura Nielsen said...

You just made my day! I can't even explain how right on the nose you are! I love reading your blog... in fact it's more fascinating when you are pregnant, I'm voting you stay pregnant...JK!!! Good Luck with the c-section.

Estabilizador e Nobreak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

Can we add to the list:
Talking on the phone while you are at the bank, while the teller WAITS for you!! Please if you are not ready to be helped don't sit at my desk while talking to your grandma about your hemorrhoids! And do not answer your phone when you are sitting at my desk and ask ME to hold on! Contrary to what you believe the world does not sit on hold while you TALK! This also applies to any place of service...restaurant, grocery store check out line etc...

Megan said...

Emily your post is likeable! CONGRATS! LOL

My friend had one of these and it actually ruined her computer...you are probably smart enough not to click on it, but with pregnancy brain you never know ;)