Wednesday, April 14, 2010

daily vent take fifteen...

I am not a petite person. I don't realistically anticipate that I ever will be. I have big bones (sure those large bones are encased in 23 inches of fat and very little muscle but they're big bones none the less).

The other day I went to this boutique/store to see if I could find a cute and inexpensive pair of jeans. So I walk up to the table and start looking around. I see that they have my size but when I hold them up I see that they are the unrealistic version of my size and not the actual version that someone who has had two kids and whose body has seen better days would actually wear.

So I ask the clerk if they have it in a size larger and she says no. Then she comes over and says, "you think you need a size X, oh you don't, these are HUGE" and then holds them up by me. I told her I was certain that they wouldn't fit and that I'd just check somewhere else. She lifts up the jeans again, tugs at the waist and says "these will for sure fit you, go try them on, they're huge."

At this point, knowing they wouldn't fit, I just wanted to make her feel as stupid as possible so I agreed, took the jeans and stepped into the dressing room.

You know your headed for disappointment when you have the pants 1/2 way up your legs and already you're struggling for your next breath. So I yank them up past my hips, attempt to button them (which just wasn't happening) and assess what I see in the mirror. I looked like I was attempting to put on stylish compression pants, they were tight and hideous. Not to mention I couldn't zip or button them up.

About this time the sales girls (who HAD to be working on commission) came knocking at my door asking what I thought of the jeans. I stepped out of the dressing room (garments showing and fat dimples bulging) and said, "you're right, these are huge". The poor girl was speechless. I don't know if she was embarrassed or in shock that anyone dared step out in public looking like I did but either way, she was horrified.

It's a good thing I have a healthy self esteem!

So my vent isn't actually about the girl thinking that the jeans that were WAY too small for me were HUGE - although, it could be.

I can't stand it when I'm being realistic about myself and the size of my body and other people feel the need to tell me it isn't so. I'm not fishing for a compliment, I understand that I'm not a size 2. Please don't feel it necessary to try and reassure me that I'm not a little chunky - I know I am and I'm obviously ok with it as I haven't gone on a diet or taken up a rigorous exercise routine.

2 comments:

brittani c. said...

Emily, I happened to click on the link that you posted from Facebook...I just HAD to comment after reading it because I HATE people who mindlessly throw their words around like that. Your retort was just perfect! I always wish I could come back with snarky comments in the very moment.

Thanks for the entertaining rant. I know you're not fishing for compliments, but you look already look fabulous.

Darren Johnson Family said...

Emily- I love this post. Been there done that my whole life. This is why I hate shopping. I'd rather look at clothes than try them on because I don't want to leave depressed. Just go home to my baggy pregnant clothes that look hideous on me too.